Friday, November 18, 2011

Arrival Information

Today I got a a rather long email from Michelle Matuszewski, one of the Animal Programs' trainers. She and Jason Martin will be the ones helping out all the new Animal interns as we begin our first few weeks of training.

For this term, there is a hiring process that is new to everyone. Every person has a dashboard that they log in to, and that dashboard lists all the recent emails and documents that have been sent to you. Also, there is Yammer, which is a social networking site (similar to Facebook) only for Animal Programs Professional Interns. It allows everyone to meet, talk with each other, and ask questions before arriving in Orlando. This turned out to be a great tool, as it provided me with tons of information and my future roommates!



My arrival day is Thursday, January 12, 2012. On this day I'll be filling out all my hiring paperwork and moving into Disney Housing. On this day I will also be receiving a detailed training outline and training guides. I will also be given an agenda for the day, which will include afternoon meetings and a social networking event in the evening. It sounds like a very busy and jam-packed day, but totally exciting as well! I've been told to dress casual this day, but since it will also be the first time meeting Disney Professionals, I'm sure I'll be obsessing over what to wear anyway. That day might include a few outfit changes :)

The email also went over the Disney Look. Disney requires that literally every inch of your body be within their guidelines- no crazy hairstyles, no crazy makeup, no crazy jewelry, no crazy piercings or tattoos- basically dress professionally and look well kept while onstage. I won't go over every detail about the Disney Look, but the rules are definitely extensive and cover everything- from the tips of your hair to the toes on your feet.

As for my costume, I am now in need of some plain brown hiking boots. I have never purchased hiking boots before, so if anyone has any suggestions on where to get some, please let me know!



The email reiterates that the first couple of weeks on the job will be VERY busy. No time off is expected for these first few weeks. I have to admit that this scares me a little, but I'm fully prepared to work hard and I know that it will be worth it in the end. I'm also a little nervous about dealing with the traffic around Orlando and finding directions to places I need to be, but I know that these are things I'll come to learn in time. Just those silly little things we all obsess about before changing our lives in a major way, no big deal.

That's all for the moment. I hope this helps any future prospective Disney interns, and entertains those who are just interested in learning about the process.

2 comments:

Jillian said...

Sorry this is a month after the fact, but if you're still looking for boots, here's what I got:

http://www.sportsauthority.com/product/index.jsp?productId=11306811&cp=&kw=columbia+boots&camp=ppc%3Aiqid%3A35246919&pg=4&gclid=CI33gPO3gq0CFQpS7AodtjNBSA&iq_id=35246919&origkw=columbia+boots&parentPage=search

That's at Sports Authority but I'm sure you could find them elsewhere too. They were GREAT boots. They got me through archaeology field school and 2 Disney internships, and they're still in great condition. Really comfy.

You can also find cheaper boots at Wal-Mart - I know a lot of fellow CPers from Kilimanjaro Safaris went there, because they knew they wouldn't use the boots again after their 6 months at Disney.

Hope this helps! You're getting so close to arriving - how exciting!! :)

Unknown said...

Thank you so much! I'm still looking, so it helps a ton. I'll probably end up going for the Sports Authority pair, comfort is key. It's getting closer to January 12th and I'm getting so excited! Thank you for your help :)

About Me

Followers

Powered by Blogger.